Friday, March 25, 2011

Shots

I've been going to the Chiropractor and physical therapist for about a month now, and while I haven't had a migrane or much jaw pain in a while, I am still having neck and back pain.  It has really depressed me that I've spent so much time and effort trying to get better and the muscle issues causing my problems won't seem to go away.

When I heard that I would be getting a massage three times a week (after therapy) I was so excited that I bragged to everyone who would listen (mainly Bart).  And the massage is now the WORST part of my therapy.  The pain I feel when they massage/press on my "trigger points" literally takes my breath away.  Like I CANNOT breathe when they work on me.  Apparently the muscles aren't "letting go" like they should, and so I'm getting some relief from symptoms, but none from the real issue at hand.  It's frustrating.

At my appointment today, the PTs, Dr., and NP told me that they believe my muscles have been so strained, tight and just out of whack for so long that scar tissue has built up around the trigger points, which means that it could take a year for them to be able to let go.  Before I could feel devastation, Dr. Crunch told me he wanted me to begin receiving injections in the trigger points from the NP.  So, today I had my first injection of Sarapin, which is a "distillation of a suspension of powdered Sarracenia purpurea (Pitcher Plant) which is well known in the holistic world for providing pain relief.  Anyway, the NP pushed down with her fingers alllllll over my back in order to locate my trigger points.  It hurt.  And you know what else?  So did the (FOUR) shots.  It was like a wasp sting.  With my muscle "jumping" on the needle every time it went in.  And on a side note, I am TERRIFIED of needles, so this should give you some indication of the pain I'm dealing with here.  Then I got tortured massaged again to help the Sarapin penetrate the muscles. 

All in all, I'm feeling pretty sore, but I am so excited about this treatment.  The NP said that most people only need a total of eight injections given over the course of a month to loosen the muscles enough for the PT to work.  Here's hoping it does its job!

No comments:

Post a Comment