So, as you know (I think), I bought a wedding band from Kay jewelers that didn't work out. Attempt at a ring, round 1.
After that, I mailed out my engagement ring (yes in the MAIL and yes, it was horrifying even though I paid to have it insured and over-nighted) to the jeweler to made my engagement ring. In New York. He had my ring for about a month and a half as he made the custom wedding band that I designed to go with my ring. After a lot of phone calls (i.e. harassment) on my part because I was so worried about the process, he sent me pictures of the finished ring last week and it was beautiful. I loved it. I paid for it. And it arrived on Saturday, along with my engagement ring (yes!) and Bart's wedding band, safe and sound.

Unfortunately, the rings looked AWFUL together on my finger, because the space between my two knuckles is so short. They were also incredibly uncomfortable to wear because the two together were so very wide and super tight because they did not sit where they were supposed to. I wore them both around for two days thinking that maybe I just needed to get used to them being on my finger and to get used to the way they looked. We'll just cut the story short there and say that I cried Saturday and Sunday night.
Attempt at ring, round 2.
So, today I finally worked up the courage to call our jeweler to discuss the matter with him. The man, quite possibly a saint, assured me that another ring could be made in plenty of time for the wedding. I'm mailing my engagement ring, old wedding band, and Bart's band back out, hopefully tomorrow. Bart's band is going out with everything else because we (fortunately) forgot to ask him to engrave the bands. We settled on a beautiful quote. It is from Letter XXI, from Napoleon to Josephine. It reads, "To love you alone, to make you happy...this is my destiny." Because my band will be so small, we are going to break the quote up between the two bands so that, together, they form the full quote. Nice, huh?
Anyway, here is the sketch of (final) Attempt at ring, round 3
This is the sketch that our jeweler originally sent to me, that I vetoed in favor of the one that I have now. A nice, thin band that will be subtle and compliment my engagement ring instead of trying to take it over. It's what I should have gone with in the first place.
No comments:
Post a Comment