Thursday, July 1, 2010

Holiday in Chicago

So the Fourth of July is fast approaching, as is my paid (!!!), 3 day(!!!!) holiday from work. I can't even begin to describe how thrilled I am to be looking forward to sleeping in for multiple days in a row. Sweet.

Bart and I really aren't sure what to do with ourselves this weekend. Right now, the Taste of Chicago is going on, but we've already been and tasted the not-so-great food. There are a ton of concerts going on in various parks and Giada DeLaurentiis is in town, so maybe I'll have Bart take me to see her and have her sign my cookbook.

The only other big thing we can do is go to one of the firework shows on the lakefront. One thing I'm worried about are the crowds. The off-duty policemen who work at the clinic/college for security told me that murders and other crimes jump dramatically during the holidays, especially during the summer. Just last weekend over 40 people were murdered in what I guess is some kind of gang war. That doesn't include the other weekends we've had in the month of June. Yikes.

Frankly, I'd love to do a little shopping (clothes for work, so it's justified, OKAY?) and maybe have a nice sushi dinner out at our favorite place. Just lay low, you know? Since most of the big wedding stuff is out of the way (I finally got a wonderful florist and the rings should be mailed out today), I figure I deserve a nice relaxing weekend. Maybe I'll even get a mani/pedi while I'm at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment