Wednesday, February 2, 2011

SNOWMAGEDDON!!

So, you might have heard that we got a little bit of snow here in Chicago over the last couple of days. Normally I hate snow just as much as the next person, but this was just awesome. I got out of work at 2pm on Tuesday and won't be back until SATURDAY! Yes, people, that is how bad it is out here. The official count was 21 inches at O'Hare airport, but I think we got more here by the lake. Anyway, I've got pictures (we braved the blizzard for you, my fine readers!) and some interesting little tidbits about it all. Here goes!

1. The clinic where I work was closed, Wednesday for the first time EVER. And we just found out tonight that the clinic and Bart's school are closed tomorrow, too. ANNND Fridays are my day off, so you can just imagine the level of love/excitement I have for this storm right now.

2. We had 50mph winds All. Night. Long.


This is what it looks like in the middle of a blizzard at 11pm in 50mph winds.


3. It was almost total white-out for hours at a time because of the wind and snow, which was falling at 2-3 inches per hour.

4. Lake Shore Drive (a major city road that is 3 roads over from us) was closed down while drivers were still--trying--to make it home. Most of the drivers started their commute home at 5pm and we saw them on the news at 11pm still sitting on the highway. They were averaging 20ft per HOUR. Nearly all of the cars had been abandoned at this point since people had run out of gas or just needed to get home. There were some reports this morning of people spending the night in their freezing cars.

5. The wind was so strong that it was actually shaking our building. We have french doors on our bedroom, which were shuddering like someone was pushing against them and the water in our toilet was actually sloshing around in the bowl.

6. We got to experience "thunder snow." It's seriously JUST as cool as it sounds--when a blizzard is really bad, you actually get a thunderstorm, lightening included, right in the middle of it all! It is super weird to look out the window, see nothing but snow, and then have thunder and lightening flash and boom.

7. Chicago Public Schools were closed yesterday for the first time in 12 years. They are closed tomorrow, too.

8. I am REALLY glad Bart and I don't have a car right now. I do, however, wish we had a dog sled.


It Begins:
The view from our back porch(ish) thing at about 3pm on Tuesday.



This was at about 9pm on Tuesday. This is the door to the entry way with the other door to get out to the street. Apparently the street door no longer fits the jamb, because alllllll of this snow had been blown in through the crack.


Clearly, I couldn't resist going outside in the snow--I mean, how often do you get to see an almost-record-breaking/close-everything-down-for-days snow storm?


Taken this morning at about 10am. Still snowing. Unfortunately, this is also what Bart's snow day looks like. Studying for the Board exams--yuck.


The Aftermath:



This is the back stairwell that goes into the alley where we put the trash. It's enclosed on three sides and we had about 3-4 inches of snow in there.


This is our street! It's a side street, so they won't be officially plowing until Lake Shore and the other major roads are plowed out. There isn't too much snow because this street faces the lake and the wind blew most of it further down.


Isn't it nice when the plows push the snow onto the sidewalk at the intersection? It sure makes trying to cross before the "don't walk" sign starts flashing exciting.


One sidewalk that was ACTUALLY shoveled clean!


The wind blew the snow through the screen.


Huge pile of snow at the other end of our street. Hope no one wants to go anywhere!



This is the newsstand and BUS STOP near us. There is no way to get to the bus. At all.



It's just a yucky mess out there.


There you have it! We've survived, I have the next two days off, and we are loving being snowed in!

1 comment:

  1. That is just crazy! I thought we got a lot of snow...you guys definitely topped us. Enjoy your snowday with your hubs tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete