Working at this law firm is definitely the worst job I have ever had. Ever. I absolutely hate it.
Yesterday I came home near tears because of the day I had. Monday a messenger came to deliver a transcript and he also brought three jars of chocolates with him, too. I asked who they were being sent to, and he said that they belonged to my attorney. I brought the candy and transcript to John, who was chatting with Pete. John joked that he had gotten candy and Pete didn't. John then told me to keep two of the jars because he wasn't a fan of chocolate and he only wanted one to bring home to his kids.
Now, you should know that ALL mail is supposed to go to Brenda when it arrives. Brenda wasn't around when this particular messenger came. Barbara is next in line, but she was also gone. They make sure that any important documents that come addressed to the attorneys is copied and THEN given to the attorney because they tend to write all over everything. I stayed with John while he opened the envelope and made sure that he didn't keep anything he took out, because I figured this would solve everyone's problem. Then I put the opened envelope in Brenda's box. Barb asked me about the envelope later, and when I told her what I did, she was totally fine with it.
So now we are back to Tuesday. My day started out with Pete accusing me of 1) not putting a visiting attorney in the conference room correctly--I wasn't even at work when he arrived, and 2) he accused me of being late when I told him I wasn't there--he asked me the night before to start coming a half our later and staying a half hour later at night. About an hour later, Pete called me into his office and began yelling at me about the candy. Now, the REAL issue here should have been that I was supposed to leave the mail in Brenda's office even though she wasn't there (which I didn't know). Pete, however, felt that he needed to focus more on the candy. He was furious that I took it, that I thought it was John's (even though that's what the messenger told me), and that I didn't offer it to Barb, his wife and the office manager. He actually said, "Why didn't you offer any to Barb? You know that she is a choco-holic." NO I DON'T!! I've been working at this place for three weeks! I don't know anyone's habits, likes or dislikes! And my simple apology wasn't good enough, either. He stretched the whole thing out for like 10 minutes--over MINI BLISS BARS!
Anyway, when I came out of his office, I felt horrible. Not because I feel like I did something wrong, because I don't. It was a simple mistake and no one got hurt (but me). I felt so humiliated and stupid. Pete made me feel like a greedy thief.
I went back to my desk and began typing up a letter for my attorney. Then my computer went nuts, which was perfect because EVERYONE has told me how Pete flips out when someone's computer gets a virus or breaks or whatever. At that point, I felt sick to my stomach, had to run to the bathroom, left the office for my lunch break and didn't eat anything because I was so freaked out. And do you know what the best part was? When I got back to the office, he was fixing my computer and HE DIDN'T EVEN CARE!!!! The man flips out over candy, but a computer virus that could have erased all of the files? No biggie.
After that, I decided that I need to look for new jobs again. I can't continue to work there, especially since I was THISCLOSE to putting on my coat and going home during lunch. I am never relaxed in that office and the only time anyone speaks to me is to tell me what I'm doing wrong. I wish I could quit tomorrow, but I need the money too much.
No comments:
Post a Comment