Friday, April 16, 2010

Big Day

So today has been a very busy day off for me. I woke up at my normal "work day" time to get ready to go to the IEI for my first eye exam in years. Tommy (our temp. roommate) gave me my exam, which lasted 3 hours. It was a really good experience, apart from being dilated and having horrendous bright lights behind magnifying lenses shone into my poor eyes all day. Anyway, the Doctor is worried that I might develop glaucoma in my left eye because of the damage and surgeries I've had, so he wants me to stop up every 2 months just so it can be monitored. Which is fine, since I work right there anyway.

I'm also going to be fitted for contacts in a month. I made that decision a while ago--I want to be able to see what's going on during my wedding. I WON'T wear glasses on that day. Tommy and the Doctor also talked me into trying a super powerful contact in my left eye for a few weeks. We tried it out on this machine (the kind they use to help find your prescription for glasses) and I could see much sharper images out of my left eye, but the sight still isn't good. It was totally weird because I've never really seen anything other than light and colors out of that eye before, so I was totally confused.

I know that sounds odd, but it was like my brain couldn't figure out what was going on. It even sometimes looked like I was seeing out of my right eye. And I had no idea where Tommy was. He looked super close to me, but when I looked out of my right eye, he'd be far away. I'm actually kind of nervous to try the contact lens. It's just that the idea of seeing out of two eyes (which I can only imagine as seeing two separate images) is something that my brain can't understand. Bart said it's because my accident happened when I was so little. Basically, that part of my brain is completely inactive and can't function properly now. We'll see how it goes, I guess.

For now, we're having burgers on the grill, pasta salad, and baked beans (ewwww) for dinner! Thank the Lord it's SPRING!

No comments:

Post a Comment