When I checked my email this morning, I saw that our wedding cake lady, Irene Maston (www.irenemaston.com) finally sent me her sketch for our cake--and it is perfect! It is four layers covered in white fondant with a light blue fondant ribbon wrapped around the bottom of each layer. Each layer has a scattering of white chocolate seashells and clusters of white and light pink Cape Roses. Instead of a traditional cake-topper, we asked Irene to continue the Cape theme in another way. Two little Adirondack chairs will sit on top of the cake under a white and blue beach umbrella. There is a tiny bucket with a little bottle of champagne inside between the chairs and two little sets of flip-flops, one at the bottom of each chair. The chairs were my idea, the rest was Bart's. That is one thing I love about him--he surprises me. I would never have expected Bart to put that much thought into our cake beyond how it tastes! And speaking of taste...
Bart and I decided to go with a really different cake flavor. Three of the four layers will be white cake with two stripes of lavender cream and one stripe of lemon ginger cream. I know it sounds weird, but it tastes SO good! It's fresh and light and completely different from the run-of-the-mill vanilla and chocolate. The third layer--for those faint of heart--will be almond cake with two stripes of fresh raspberries and one stripe of Bailey's Irish Cream cream.
I wasn't excited in the slightest to pick out our wedding cake flavors because I have hated frosting all my life. I was thrilled to find that Irene's cakes are delicious! She hand-makes everything--even her fondant. Everyone told me not to get fondant on the cake because it tastes horrible. I'd never had it, so I was eager to see what her's tasted like. It was perfect--not sicky-sweet and definitely not bland or bad tasting. She also makes ALL of her cake decorations out of chocolate and suger, which is what all of our decorations will be made out of, except for the chairs. Bart and I wanted the chairs to be wooden so that we can keep them after.
It really seems like the wedding is finally coming together. I even got the photographer I wanted--Carrie Bombria (www.carrieannphotography.com)! The ceremony will be at the Old First Church in Bennington, VT and the reception at The Four Chimneys Inn (www.fourchimneys.com). All I have left to do is book the DJ and the florist. I have to admit that I am kind of dragging my feet on this one. It is just so hard for me to commit without meeting the people, even if they do come highly recommended by the Four Chimneys. I'm going to have to bite the bullet soon, though, or else there won't be music or flowers at the wedding!
In other news, Bart called today and told me that one of his friends might need to move into the apartment with us. He and his girlfriend broke up just before I moved here and have been taking 3 week turns living in their one bedroom apartment. He stays on the couch here a lot of the time. I am guessing that either their lease is ending soon or that she has finally released him from it. He needs to stay with us so that he can finish his 3rd year at ICO.
Bart's friend is so nice and I like him a lot, but I feel bad because we don't have any spare rooms to give him. He wants to contribute to our rent, but I can't in good conscience let him if all he gets is a couch and a corner to put his things in. One other problem is that we aren't sure if the lease will allow him to stay, and as it is, the landlord apparently doesn't know that I'm living here. Bart said the landlord never comes here and it doesn't say anywhere in the lease that he reserves the right to pop in unexpectedly, so we'll probably be okay.
No comments:
Post a Comment