Monday, January 18, 2010

Book Review and Weekend Update


I've just finished re-reading (for the 1838492984 time) one of my all time favorite books: I Capture the Castle, by Dodie Smith. I absolutely love this book and turn to it time and time again when I'm in one of those funks where I can't seem to find a new book I want to read.

Dodie Smith, who also wrote 101 Dalmatians, is a master of descriptive writing. She is one of the few authors I have read who doesn't bore me with lengthy descriptions of people and places. She makes you really "see" her images in your mind's eye and leaves you wanting more.

Cassandra is the narrator of the novel--or the "journal" in which she tries to "capture" the essence of the ruined castle she lives in with her poverty stricken family, her famous father, and the American men that burst into her family's life. Cassandra not only "captures" everyone in her insightful writing--she captures herself as she comes of age in 1940's England. It is so refreshing to read a novel that isn't filled with smut and cliches. It's a book that I would recommend to literally anyone, but especially to people who love all things European (like me).

Anyway, I didn't write at all this weekend because I was--for once--so busy! My roommate Jason and our friend Tommy took me out to dinner on Friday night. We went to this great place called Opart Thai. It's Bart's favorite restaurant, so I made sure to text him and tell him what he was missing--haha! It was so nice to get out of the apartment and I so appreciate Jason and Tommy for thinking of me. On Saturday night Tommy invited me and Jason to go out to a bar with his and a couple girl friends from college that were visiting. The girls were so sweet! The bar was fun--it was karaoke night--and I got to meet more of Bart's classmates, who were all nice, too!

I love going out in the city at night. Most places still have white Christmas lights up, and then, of course, there are all of the other city lights to look at. It reminds me of one really big party. Groups of dressed-up people are walking around, talking and laughing, sometimes play-yelling. And I don't know why, but I just get the feeling that everyone is in a good mood. I felt totally safe that night (though it probably helped that Jason and Tommy were with me). I think it was really good for me to see the city that way. Sometimes I still get kind of scared when I'm walking around. Even during the daytime when I'm with Bart. It really changed my outlook!

Bart came home Sunday afternoon and I was SO happy to see him! He wanted to take a nap, so I walked down the street (by myself!!!) to the Spice Merchant. It is my FAVORITE shop on our street. It has such a pretty store front--I'll take a picture sometime--and the inside is just perfect. It has an old wooden floor and there are wooden shelves and tables everywhere with huge apothecary jars filled with literally every single kind of spice or herb you could possibly want. I even found TRUFFLE SALT!!! (It was $14 for just a tiny bit, so I didn't buy it even though I love truffles. I don't know what I'd do with it anyway). The smell in that store is wonderful: spicy, lemony, and exotic. Exotic all by itself is probably just what I'm looking for. They have lavender sugar, saffron threads, and ginger in every form (I'm going to buy the crystallized chunks next time I go). They even have one of those really old copper cash registers--like from the early 1900's. It's beautiful. And it almost makes you feel like you've gone back in time! Anyway, I am going to buy all of my herbs and spices there from now on because, not only do I (clearly) love the shop, but it is SO much cheaper! I can't even begin to tell you how much money I've saved buying spices there--and they are MUCH better quality than Tone's or McCormick's.

How sad is it that I briefly mention Bart's homecoming and rattle on for forever about spices? Haha!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome, Kari! Sounds like you had a fun filled weekend! It's good to hear Bart made it back safe and sound :)
    Love you!
    P.S.
    I can totally understand why you would love that spice place! Oh, that sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, so if we ever make it out to Chicago, you HAVE to take us to that spice place! I love love love places like that!
    Say hello to Bart and Roscoe for us! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to take pictures of the shop the next time I go--it really is heaven on earth!

    ReplyDelete